Being touted as a miracle drug, CBD has the capability to handle a litany of medical concerns. But understanding it – what it is and how it works – is just the first step. The next step, if it is something that you strive to do, is making CBD oil at home. This guide will teach you not only what CBD oil is and how it works, but how to create it on your own.
How does CBD Oil Work?
Why are so many using CBD Oil?
Is CBD Marijuana?
How to Make CBD Oil
Making CBD oil through the oil method:
- To get started, choose leaves, buds, and stems from a high-quality cannabis plant. In order to ensure quality, it is essential that the raw cannabis has gone through the process of decarboxylation. To do this, bake the buds and leaves at a temperature of 220°F for between 90 and 100 minutes. This is the process of heating the plant at a certain temperature for a specific period of time in order to activate the plant’s chemicals.
- In a mason jar, mix the ground-up weed with the carrier oil of your choice, then saturate the weed with the oil. You can make adjustments to the quantity of oil and add more depending on how potent you want it to be.
- Once the saturation has taken place, it is time to bring the oil-weed mixture to a boil. Screw the lid of the mason jar tightly to ensure that no water or steam gets into the oil mixture.
- Place a towel in the bottom of a pot and put the mason jar on top of the towel. Fill the pan with water and heat it until it reaches a temperature of at least 200 degrees.
- Regularly check the pot to ensure that the water inside has not evaporated. Turn off the stove after letting the oil mixture simmer for three hours, then let it sit for around another three hours.
- After this is done, it is recommended to heat the oil mixture again for three hours, to turn off the heat, and leave it again for the night.
- The next morning, your CBD oil will be ready to use. Proceed ahead by straining the mixture through cheesecloth and storing it in a cool, dark and dry place.
Making CBD oil through the alcohol method:
- Start by placing the marijuana in a glass or ceramic bowl. Make sure to cover it with alcohol and stir it for about 6 minutes. Once this is done, use a wooden spoon to extract the resin produced.
- Place a straining bag or sieve in the bowl so that you can filter out the solvent. Squeeze out as much of the extract as possible. If you feel that more oil extraction is possible from the weed, keep going with the squeezing process.
- In a double boiler, pour the extracted oil and heat it until you see bubbles start to form. The aim here is to make the alcohol evaporate without raising the temperature. Wait until the oil simmers for about 30 minutes or so on a very low flame. Once the alcohol evaporates completely, mix it and turn off the flame.
- Once cooled, transfer the concentrated extract in a storage bottle with a tight lid in a cool, dark and dry place.