Have you ever wondered why your emotion and body feels so uplifted at the scent of citrus? Felt peace and calm at the relaxing fragrance of peppermint and lavender? Soak into a feeling of richness and luxury with vanilla? You're not alone. Our neurons are triggered by pleasant smells, sending a message all over our body. This is the power of Aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy dates back to the old. It encompasses the ancient civilizations of the Greeks and Egyptians, who luxuriously bathed themselves in thick, mineral rich oils in their religious and medicinal activities. We now use this collected wisdom to incorporate fragrant oils in detoxifying our mind and body from the busyness of modern life. Today, cosmetic and therapeutic industries flourish with the aid of Aromatherapy. You can enjoy the power of fragrance in different means: bath soaps, bath salts, bottled oils, perfumed candles and more.
How to Use Aromatherapy for Healing and Relaxation
The best way to benefit from the power of essential oils is to deeply inhale the scent and allow it to linger. Hold the oil right under your nose; breath in for a few counts, and then slowly breathe out. The soothing effect lasts within an hour. Repeat this many times throughout the day to quickly ease your mood and brighten up your spirit.
You can also use the oil by rubbing it onto your skin. Dab it on your pulse, temples and wrists—where oil is quickly absorbed and mixes into the blood stream. Experience its healing magic; there are special oils that possess beautifying and anti-inflammatory properties that can enhance your appearance. Citrusy varieties brighten up your skin. Cinnamon and the likes are great disinfectants. Other oils, like eucalyptus, can ease pain.
Lastly, you can choose to let others enjoy the fragrance. Use a humidifier or diffuser and spread the wonderful scent all over the area. This is perfect for living rooms, when welcoming guests, or bedrooms, for that soothing moment before sleeping.
Get the Right Mix of Essential Oils for Your Needs
- Ward off symptoms of fatigue by picking the rejuvenating scents of ginger, lemon or cinnamon.
- Unwind using the scent of rose, cardamom or lavender. Restore peace and sooth tension using the fragrance of ylang-ylang, which is perfect for restoring balance.
- Quick boost. Amp up your concentration with the power of peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary. These three essential oils are quick solutions for that unwanted brain fog. Also, they help in keeping you alert and improving your reaction time.
- Get that must-have snooze with the aid of sandalwood, chamomile and lavender. Bathe in these essential oils at night, or place a few drops on your pillow.
- Suffering from flu? Use black pepper and peppermint oil to ward off those unwanted colds. Cinnamon also does wonders to your health and can be infused with your food.
Aside from these, there are many essential oils in the market, each with the power of soothing physical and mental stress. Pack a bottle or two of your favorite scents and stock them up at home. Enjoy the soothing power of fragrance with these natural alternatives, and feel healthy and happy at all times!